It’s an EliteBook! It’s a Folio! Nope, it’s both! HP announced their new EliteBook Folio 9740m this week. The new EliteBook Folio 9470m appears to be the spiritual successor to the HP ProBook 5330m and now packs even more features that business users will appreciate than before. The EliteBook Folio 9740m (yes what a long name) caters to business users more perfectly than before, providing them with an alternative to the HP Folio 13 which has been reviewed and found to be rather consumer-oriented.
On the outside, the HP EliteBook Folio 9740m sports a body which has the same design philosophy that HP introduced with last year’s EliteBook models, including a solid aluminum construction. The EliteBook Folio 9740m will be available on yet-to-be-mentioned 2012 Intel Ivy Bridge processors, though it’s no biggie of Intel hasn’t announced some of their new mobile chips yet since the HP EliteBook Folio is expected to become available in October this year (no that is not a joke!) which gives prospective buyers give-or-take 5 months to twiddle thumbs. Since release of this model is so far away, we don’t have a lot of information so far but here’s what we do know about HP’s business Ultrabook:
- Upcoming 2012 Ivy Bridge Intel Core processors (not sure if low voltage or full voltage)
- Unknown slots for DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (though HP says it will support up to 16 GB)
- 2.5 storage drive bay for HDD or SSD (plus optional 32 GB mSATA SSD if you go with a hard disk as a main drive)
- 14 inch matte display (1366 x 768 resolution only); no word on higher-resolution 1600 x 900 option
- Intel Integrated Graphics 4000
- Trackpad with physical buttons; pointing stick with dedicated buttons
- Full-sized backlit keyboard with dedicated Home/End/Page Up/down keys
- Display Port and VGA ports
- Connectivity ports include: Smart Card reader, 3 USB ports (at least one of them is USB 3.0), SD card slot, combo headphone/microphone jack and Ethernet
- SRS HD Audio branding for speakers
- HD webcam
- 1.9 cm (0.75 inches) thin, 1.6 kg (3.6 lbs) weight
- Available in October; base price starts at $1149
The HP EliteBook Folio 9470m has features that cater to business uers such as a TPM security chip, HP Protect Tools security software with full encryption options, underside port compatible with HP docking stations (the standard one that has been available for years) and support for an optional secondary battery.